Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bitter gourd Recipe

Hi Guys.
I think this is for the first time onto my blog that I am gonna share a recipe.
And this is because I love the final taste that comes out of it. 

I had been making bitter gourd earlier. But that used to taste a lot bitter. I have tried a numerous ways in making it and so far this has come out to be a really wonderful one.

My husband likes this vegetable a lot and because I could not make them good enough, I didn't want him to give up on it. So I kept trying and here I have one nice recipe to share.I have developed this recipe over time suited to my taste and my ways of cooking.

I usually take 5 pieces of bitter gourd, 2 potatoes, 1 onion, 2 medium-sized tomatoes, 4 - 5 pieces of garlic.

At night itself, I peel bitter gourds , cut them vertically in two-halves, take out the seeds inside, cut into small pieces, wash into water, kept aside in a plate with salt mixed into it. That helps the bitter juice to separate out over the night. Don't throw away the peelings. Take them in a sieve, wash thoroughly and keep them aside as well with little salt mixed.

I don't have picture for that.I am sorry for that. Would update this post next time I would make them.

At morning, just give the pieces a nice squeeze and a wash again and same for the peelings as well.

Take a kadhai, put some oil. Put bitter gourd pieces into it. Fry till it turns little brown. Take them out. Now put the peelings and give them a light fry too.


What I usually do with potatoes is that I cut them into small rounds, and grease a pan with some oil, and put those pieces into the pan and give them a nice bake over a sim for 10-15 mins, on both the sides.  That gives them a nice crisp taste. I believe this can be alternatively done in oven too. But I prefer this way due to its ease. And I use such potatoes in many vegetables, like Bhindi, Cauliflower etc.



Now put some oil in kadhai, put sliced onions, garlic cut into small pieces. Give them a light fry till they are golden.

 Put tomatoes, you can either put puree or cut tomatoes in small pieces. Fry them for a while till they mix well. I put chopped green chillis also. Now put some salt, coriander powder, fennel seeds, and garam masala. Mix well.
Now put potatoes, bitter gourd pieces and the peelings. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for another 15-20 mins on sim.

It is ready to be served.

No comments: